Agenda :- The aim of this JAVA tutorial is to enlighten you with basic knowledge of JAVA and it’s major features. One of the most awesom feature of Java is – It’s an “Open Source Programming Language”. I am listing the topics below which we are going to learn.
- Basic History of JAVA.
- Introduction to JAVA.
- JAVA and it’s Major features.
- How it happens in JAVA?
STEP 1. Basic History of JAVA :-
- Website :- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java
- WikiBooks :- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Java_Programming
STEP 2. Introduction to JAVA :-
JAVA is a cross platform, object oriented programming language designed to develop and deploy exciting applications efficiently. Java is a high level language which was first released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. A small team of Engineers in Sun Microsystems initiated the first JAVA project in 1991 headed by James Gosling. The language was initially named ‘Oak’ after an Oak tree that stood outside James’s office.
But later on, it was renamed JAVA, from Java Coffee which was said to be consumed in large quantity by language developers. Today, after almost 20 years, Java has made a stunning effect in this technological world. Java not only pervades over the Internet, but is also an invisible force behind numerous applications and technologies that powers our day to day lives. For an instance, Java has made influence on Mobiles, Computers, Ticketing Systems, ATMs, Government Systems, VOIP, Security Systems, Banking Systems, Billing Systems and many more. JAVA is everywhere!!!
Now, let’s know this Programming language and learn about JAVA and it’s major features.
STEP 3. JAVA and it’s Major Features :-
- JAVA is an object oriented language : – Object Oriented Design is a technique that helps developers to visualize the program using real life objects. For example :- In Java logic, Animal is a Class while Dog and Cat are its Objects.
- JAVA is a simple language :- It is a simple language because certain complex features like Operator Overloading, Pointers, Multiple inheritance, Explicit memory de allocation is not present in JAVA.
- Robustness :- JAVA programs are robust because JAVA provides Exception Handling feature to manage the run time errors. In addition to this, Memory management in JAVA is very easy as the de allocation is done automatically by the Garbage Collector.
- JAVA is a secured programming language :- Java provides a virtual Firewall between the computer and the JAVA programs so as to protect the program from infectious and malicious contents. This is achieved by developing the programs within “Java Runtime environment”.
- Multithreading :- Multithreading is the feature of a Java program to perform several different tasks within a program at the same time. For example :- A JAVA game software where GUI updation, sound controls, timer controls, score updation happen at same time.
- Platform Independence (Cross platform portability) :- By “cross platform”, it lets Application developers to “Write Once, Run Anywhere” (WORA), which means Java Code that runs on one platform does not need to be recompiled to run on other platforms. The Cross Platform feature of JAVA is made possible by making use of JVM (Java Virtual Machine).
The features I shared above are some of the major features of JAVA language. We can perform anything and evrything with the help of JAVA. We will soon explore more into JAVA and it’s major features in our further journey. So, stay tune to “PhpRinG Tutorials”.
STEP 4. How it happens?
- The source code of Java is stored in a text file with extension ‘.java’.
- The Java compiler compiles a .java file into byte code which is a binary language.
- The byte code is stored in a file with extension ‘.class’.
- The ‘.class’ file thus generated, is the machine code of this particular processor.
- This byte code is interpreted by the JVM (Java Virtual Machine).
- JVM varies from platform to platform, i.e. JVM is platform dependent which can be considered as a processor purely implemented with software.
- The interface that the JVM has, to the ‘.class’ file remains the same irrespective of the underlying platform. This makes platform independence possible.
- In JVM Runtime Environment, following tasks are performed :-
- Class Loader loads the byte code.
- Byte code verifier verifies the code.
- Code is executed in Runtime Interpreter.
- Unused memory is de allocated – Garbage Collection.
STEP 5. References :-
STEP 6. Summary :-
- Designed in 1995 by James Gosling and Sun Microsystems.
- Named after JAVA Coffee.
- Today, after almost 20 years, JAVA is everywhere!!!
- Object Oriented, Simple and Robust
- Secured Language
- Cross Platform Portability
STEP 7. Free e-books and Pdf’s :-
Please Subscribe or Like PhpRinG Tutorials for free e-books and pdf’s.
- Launching Very Soon free e-books and pdf’s on Java Tutorials.
In the Next tutorial, we will take you to the Installation and Configuration part. I can understand that some of you geeks finds Installation part little boring but Learning is always fun !!! Isn’t it? I hope you al like my very first article on Introduction to JAVA and it’s major features. In future, this journey of JAVA Tutorials will be awesome and i will try to share all my experience with you members. Your Feedbacks and queries are always welcomed as comment below.